POSTED: August 20th, 2013
Nashville International Center for Empowerment, established in 2005, is a nonprofit 501 (c) 3 ethnic community-based organization dedicated to empowering refugees and immigrants in Middle Tennessee through direct social services and educational programs. The ELL Teacher will report to the Education and Volunteer Coordinator and will teach two ELL classes twice a week. This is a part-time, 6 hour per week position.
- Teach 2 classes twice a week of up to 20 ESL students from a variety of backgrounds.
- Record student attendance and maintain communication with program coordinator.
- Monitor and assess learner’s progress through regular testing and observation, in coordination with the program coordinator; administer CASAS tests.
- Support and direct volunteer assistants as assigned.
- Arrive on site 20 minutes before class begins and stay 10 minutes after class to set up classroom, make copies, counsel students, and generally support the adult education program.
- Plan and deliver effective lessons that target assessed needs of learners
- Record lessons online after each class.
Skills and Abilities:
- Skilled in teaching adult English language learners
- Able to identify objectives and create lesson plans
- Comfortable interacting with low-level English speakers from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Able to work with limited supervision
- Able to handle sensitive information with discretion
- Able to handle a wide variety of situations with calm professionalism
- Comfortable with basic Internet navigation
- Some post-secondary education preferred
- TESL or TEFL training, certificate, or degree preferred
- Access to reliable transportation
- Willing to undergo a background check
Compensation: $17/hour for TEFL or TESL certified instructor
Job Type: Part-Time
Contact Information and Procedure:
Send cover letter, résumé and salary requirements to email@example.com. Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. No calls, please. Applications without requested information will not be considered. APPLICATIONS WILL BE RECEIVED UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED.